1. Tough times never last, but tough people do. Robert H Schuller
2. Most of us, swimming against the tides of trouble the world knows nothing about, need only a bit of praise or encouragement – and we will make the goal. Jerome Fleishman
3. It’s your reaction to adversity, not adversity itself that determines how your life’s story will develop. Dieter F. Uchtdorf
4. Hard times sustain and strengthen others, inspiring them to strive toward personal growth. Senora Roy
5. The wound is the place where the light enters you. Rumi
6. You are so much more than what you are going through. John Tew
7. Once you choose hope, anything’s possible. Christopher Reeve
8. It’s going to be hard but hard does not mean impossible.
9. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King Jr.
10. Make up your mind that no matter what comes your way, no matter how difficult, no matter how unfair, you will do more than simply survive. You will thrive in spite of it. Joel Osteen
11. Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations. Zig Ziglar
12. Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. Confucius
13. Spend eighty percent of your time focusing on the opportunities of tomorrow rather than the problems of yesterday. Brian Tracy
14. Hard times are like thunder. They make a lot of noise but do little harm. Don’t fear hard times. Debasish Mridha
15. Rock bottom became the solid foundation in which I rebuilt my life. J.K. Rowling
16. When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. Henry Ford
17. Just as despair can come to one only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings. Elie Weisel
18. Sometimes you don’t realize your own strength until you come face to face with your greatest weakness. Susan Gale
19. Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I’ll show you someone who has overcome adversity. Lou Holtz
20. You’ve got to get up every morning with determination if you’re going to go to bed with satisfaction. George Lorimer
21. Hard times don’t create heroes. It is during the hard times when the ‘hero’ within us is revealed. Bob Riley
22. Hard times build determination and inner strength. Through them we can also come to appreciate the uselessness of anger. Dalai Lama
23. A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles. Christopher Reeve
24. Everything is okay in the end, if it’s not ok, then it’s not the end.
25. You’ve got to stay strong to be strong in tough times. Tilman J. Fertitta
26. You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice. Bob Marley
27. The last of the human freedoms: to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way. Victor Frankl
28. An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it’s going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming.
29. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. Isaiah 43:2
30. Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before, how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way, and that so many things that one goes worrying about are of no importance whatsoever. Zahid Abas
31. Dreams come true if you survive the hard times.
32. There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time. Malcolm X
33. Hard times teach us valuable lessons.
34. Hardships often prepare ordinary people, for an extraordinary destiny. C.S. Lewis
35. Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. Eckhart Tolle
36. People need hard times and oppression to develop psychic muscles. Emily Dickinson
37. Sometimes painful things can teach us lessons that we didn’t think we needed to know. Amy Poehler
38. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. William James
39. Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and twice as beautiful as you’ve ever imagined. Dr. Seuss
40. If you’re going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill
41. When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven’t. Thomas Edison
42. I have no regrets in my life. I think that everything happens to you for a reason. The hard times that you go through build character, making you a much stronger person. Rita Mero
43. Be strong now because things will get better. It might be stormy now, but it can’t rain forever.
44. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. Carlos Castaneda
45. Danger gathers upon our path. We cannot afford — we have no right — to look back. We must look forward. Winston Churchill
46. There is a saying in Tibetan, ‘Tragedy should be utilized as a source of strength.’ No matter what sort of difficulties, how painful experience is, if we lose our hope, that’s our real disaster. 14th Dalai Lama
47. Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning how to dance in the rain. Vivian Greene
48. It is only in our darkest hours that we may discover the true strength of the brilliant light within ourselves that can never, ever, be dimmed. Doe Zantamata
49. Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us.
50. You have power over your mind — not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength. Marcus Aurelius
51. The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow. Don’t give up. Robert Tew
52. One small crack does not mean you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and you didn’t fall apart. Linda Poindexter
53. Life is like a camera. Focus on what’s important. Capture the good times. And if things don’t work out, just take another shot. Ziad K. Abdelnour
54. Going through challenging things can teach you a lot, and they also make you appreciate the times that aren’t so challenging. Carrie Fisher
55. If your life is cloudy and you’re far, far off course, you may have to go on faith for a while, but eventually you’ll learn that every time you trust your internal navigation system, you end up closer to your right life. Martha Beck
56. Courage is one step ahead of fear. Coleman Young
57. Sometimes when hardships knock, it’s just life. Do not take it personal. Naide P Obiang
58. In times of great stress or adversity, it’s always best to keep busy, to plow your anger and your energy into something positive. Lee Iacocca
59. The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
60. Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging. Joseph Campbell
61. Life is very interesting. In the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths. Drew Barrymore
62. We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated. Maya Angelou
63. That is all I want in life: for this pain to seem purposeful. Elizabeth Wurtzel
64. Never to suffer would never to have been blessed. Edgar Allan Poe
65. Only during hard times do people come to understand how difficult it is to be master of their feelings and thoughts. Anton Pavlovich Chekhov
66. When life gets harder challenge yourself to be stronger.
67. Everyone is breakable, but not everyone is aware that it’s a choice to stay broken. Stanley Berman
68. In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity. Sun Tsu
69. You are stronger than you think.
70. Life doesn’t get easier or more forgiving, we get stronger and more resilient. Steve Maraboli
71. Hard times make you bitter or make you more compassionate. Jewel
72. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. Albert Einstein
73. Pain has taught me to appreciate the things that don’t hurt. Melissa Tripp
74. You’re going to go through tough times – that’s life. But I say, ‘Nothing happens to you, it happens for you.’ See the positive in negative events. Joel Osteon
75. Sometimes adversity is what you need to face in order to become successful. Zig Ziglar
76. All of life is a test and we all have our challenges to meet. Marjory Sheba
77. I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it. Maya Angelou
78. Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice. Wayne Dyer
79. Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before, how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way, and that so many things that one goes worrying about are of no importance whatsoever. Zahid Abas
80. Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. Joshua J. Marine
81. A deep rooted strength is the result of a difficult journey. Karen Gibas
82. Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger
83. Every adversity, every failure, and every heartache, carries with it the seed of an equivalent or greater benefit. Napoleon Hill
84. Every struggle in your life has shaped you into the person you are today. Be thankful for the hard times; they can only make you stronger.
85. Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. Thomas Edison
86. All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me…. You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. Walt Disney
87. Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. Joshua J. Marine
88. Hard times may have held you down, but they will not last forever. When all is said and done, you will be increased. Joel Osteen
89. We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde
90. It takes a lot of courage to push through hard times. Never give up. Good things are coming your way. Robert Tew
91. On the other side of a storm is the strength that comes from having navigated through it. Raise your sail and begin. Gregory S. Williams
92. Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor. Dr. Alexis Carrel
93. Accept – then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Eckhart Tolle
94. And one has to understand that braveness is not the absence of fear but rather the strength to keep on going forward despite the fear. Paulo Coelho
95. Bad times, hard times, this is what people keep saying; but let us live well, and times shall be good. We are the times: Such as we are, such are the times. Saint Augustine
96. When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. Franklin D. Roosevelt
97. Someday you will look back, and know exactly why it had to happen.
98. No matter how bleak or menacing a situation may appear, it does not entirely own us. It can’t take away our freedom to respond, our power to take action. Ryder Carroll
99. Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines. Robert Schuller
100. We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope. Martin Luther King, Jr.
101. We don’t develop courage by being happy every day. We develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. Barbara De Angelis
What are your favorite quotes? Let me know in the comments below!
Read next: Quotes About Death